700 g streaky unsmoked bacon chopped into 1 inch pieces
2 large finely chopped shallots
2 garlic cloves crushed
1/2 tsp chilli powder
1/4 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp mustard powder
120 ml whiskey or bourbon
500 ml maple syrup
80 ml cider vinegar
4 tabs light brown sugar
• Cook half the bacon in a single layer in a frying pan or skillet, on a medium heat for 20 minutes, stirring frequently until lightly browned.
• Transfer onto kitchen towel to absorb excess fat and reserve for later. Clean the pan and cook remaining bacon in the same way, then keep any brown bits and 1 tabs fat in the bottom of the pan and add the shallots and garlic and cook gently for 5 minutes, until shallots are cooked.
• Add the chilli powder, ginger and mustard powder and cook for a further minute until mixed in. Add the whiskey and maple syrup and cook on a high heat and bring to the boil, stirring occasionally incorporating all the brown bits off the bottom of the pan. Add the cider vinegar and sugar and return to the boil. Add reserved bacon and reduce to a low heat.
• Simmer gently for around 10 minutes, occasionally stirring, until it reduces to a thick glaze.
• Cool slightly and blitz in a food processor to the consistency of a chunky jam and transfer to jars. It will keep for up to a month. Delicious with salads and cheese or add to omelettes and stocks, cooked meat & vegetables.
- Posted on 2016-10-31 13:12:40